Re: [VAL] Gutting (was Re: VAL Digest V3 #706)

> Hi Steve,
>
> With all due respect:
>
> "not all that complicated to replicate"- As a retired high school shop
> teacher, and veteran of a 1740's house restoration, I agree with you
> in principle, but.  Good intentions are no substitute for skill, time,
> tools and above all $$$$$$.  I am trying to intervene at the moment
> when someone just guts one without thinking, operating under some
> fantasy about what they might put back in there.  And often the
> fantasy involves a big sale to some star of stage and screen.
>
> Saving a derelict or unusable Airstream and putting it back on the
> road will get you into heaven every time.  Some folks may want museum
> quality restoration, I just want them .....on the road again, Goin'
> places that I've never been, Seein' things that I may never see again,
> And I can't wait to get on the road again.
>
> Daisy

Hear - Hear!

One suggestion I would like to make to new owners of Vintage Airstreams
is make the repairs necessary to get it back on the road, them use it
for a year or two before you decide to do any major projects.

We had all sorts of plans for our '77 Sovereign. We were going to polish
it. We were going to make the rear beds into one big bed. Etc...

We decided to use it for a while before commencing work on either
project, and I am glad we did.

We ended up not doing either of them. We found out that it was too much
work to polish a 31' trailer, and the twin beds worked out just fine.
Had we dove right in, we would have ended up with a partly polished
trailer and we would have messed up part of a classic trailer that
didn't need messing with after all.

Dave