Re: [VAL] Gutting (was Re: VAL Digest V3 #706)

Dr Daze & Scott,

I'd like to offer a different view point. I too am dismayed by all the folks
that manage to gut their trailers of what's left of the original interior
and then for a number of reasons decide to give up... but I don't feel that
these trailers and their history are lost to the landfill. Other than a few
of the bathroom pieces, the interiors on these are not that complicated to
replicate. In the case of my '67 Ambassador, though well cared for, 40 years
of condensation saturated rodent leavings and various other wear and tear
had left the interior in a state that no amount of cleaning was going make
clean enough for my family. I chose to carefully remove the interior and
re-use for the purpose of patterns in constructing a new interior from fresh
materials. Having grown up in the era, I am very familiar with the elements
that will keep my new interior sympathetic to the original. It will not be a
museum piece that is representative of the trailer as it rolled of the
Jackson Center Assembly line in '66 or '67, but it will be as it could have
been at the time... and it will be suited to the needs of my family. This
gets to the key issue in this debate... the trailers were meant (by Wally)
to be used. Any trailer that is used is better than one that is not. I plan
to learn all I can in my restoration and then do my best to encourage and
assist folks in creating their own Vintage Airstream experience.

Steve