Re: [VAL] Gutting (was Re: VAL Digest V3 #706)

Steve,

We DO have the same point of view! What you are doing is EXACTLY what should
be done! The problem is that most of the people who empty out their trailers
intending to rebuild them, give little thought as to how they are actually
going to do the rebuilding! They end up burning the interior, or hauling it
to the dump giving no thought as to using the old parts as patterns to aid
them in rebuilding.

As the past membership chairman of the VAC, I cannot tell you how many times
I was contacted by someone wanting help rebuilding their trailer after
gutting it out and destroying the interior. One of these trailers was a very
rare World Traveler. Only 7 were made, and at that time his was the only one
other than Wally's that was known to exist. Even Wally's was altered by a
previous owner. So what this guy did was to destroy what was possibly the
only original WT! However I am very happy to report that there are now 4
known to be around. One, a '59 has a very rough, but nearly original
interior...an excellent candidate for someone to take it apart, and
carefully rebuild, original, or close to original I don't care. I would just
like to see it back on the road again. One the not quite so rare Airstreams
I don't mind the "wild" rebuilds either as long the rebuilder keeps to the
spirit of Airstream. Quality, light in weight, made to be used. Done
correctly the trailer will outlive the owner, and MANY changes in decorating
trends.

Scott