Re: [VAL] Gutting (was Re: VAL Digest V3 #706)

Hi Jim,

Dr. Daze says go easy.

The floor can be patched and spongy places strengthened with a thin
epoxy designed just for that.  This will be easier than taking
everything out, and much easier than replacing the whole floor.

Unless you are a highly skilled and experienced wood or metal worker,
you will find that building things inside a giant silver ostrich egg is
much harder than putting up some shelves in the bathroom. And you run
the risk of overloading the chassis.

While getting everything out is kind of fun, and feels like getting rid
of the DNA of the former owners, it is going to reduce the value of the
trailer by miles and dollars.  People who buy Airstreams want to go
camping, not buy a large gazing ball for their back yard.

So put it all back and be less invasive, or sell it before you get in
over your head and your pocket book.

We all realize that this is your property and this is the land of the
free, but we really love these trailers and get sad when we hear of one
that has been made unusable,and lost its insides.  Some of us cringe
when we see one made into an espresso shop, or parked on a rooftop.  And
we all wish we could prevent people from taking another one off the road
where it belongs.

Owning a vintage Airstream has an element of stewardship.  It's not good
to ruin an American Icon.

Now that I have done my Dr. Daze speech, tell us about the floor, what's
wrong with it and where ?

And you are near to Fitchburg MA where the good folks a Dufours RV will
help you with everything except fixing the skin. They used to chide me
when I didn't take proper care of my '73 Ambassador.

Daisy ( aka Dr. Daze PHD ( piled higher and deeper) in restoration
finger shaking.)