Re: [VAL] Adaptability - retaining the Look and Feel

> Thank you Mitch for a very well thought and explained post below.  Yours
> was the type of reply I was hoping would show up.  I know this could be
> done with ease considering the vast amount of experience and talent in our
> group.
>
> I would bet that even Wally B would approve.  After all, Wally B was all
> about making things better all the time if possible - and this idea is
> possible.

Actually... several of us did suggest this idea, Tom. (And yes I am a
commercial FCC license holder too, since 1968 when I got my 1st class
ticket.)

The key thing here is that you'd need professional help and probably a
cooperative FCC broadcast license holder in the area if you want wide-area
coverage. Though I was under the impression that you were after a larger
coverage area than 3 to 5 miles or so?

> > When replying to a message. please delete all unnecessary original text

<The balance of the accumulated junk snipped.>

The good thing about Internationals is that they happen once a year, and there
is a lot of time left before the next one for planning and improving :)

One idea that hasn't been mentioned yet (and I can't for the life of me
understand why it didn't occur to me) is to use a carrier-current transmitter
on the International site.

For those unfamiliar with the technology, this is the insertion of a
low-powered (up to 10 watts usually) standard AM broadcast signal (AM works
best) onto the AC power distribution system. This is usually called "campus
radio" and is widely used at college campuses to distribute the college
station via carrier current to the various on-campus buildings. It requires
no FCC license, and you use a regular radio to receive it. There is
commercial equipment readily available to do this off the shelf. You do need
to have the FCC coverage limits for off-site radiated signal levels verified
(and the transmitter adjusted for compliance) as well as the have signal's
compliance with broadcast standards setup and verified by a licensed FCC
broadcast engineer and the results available at the station transmitter.

The coverage isn't something that would cover much beyond the area of the
International (and the FCC makes sure you keep it that way, but it can be
heard a ways), but you'd be able to hear it in any trailer in the area. And
since the folks who run the International also have influence on the AC power
distribution on site, this should be easy to set up.

It wouldn't offer coverage as you drive off site heading for seminars, but it
would surely work on-site, and necessary equipment could be purchased by the
Club with setup done by one of several WBCCI member FCC licensed broadcast
engineers (I happen to be one, Mitch is,  and there are likely others.)

I had set up quite a few of these systems in the past for college campuses,
though of late most have opted to get a low-power FM license instead. The
beauty of the carrier-current system is that you could move it anywhere the
International happened to be, something not easily possible with actual
physical site licensing.

It's just an idea, but one that could be completely under Club control and not
tied to any physical location. It may have some possibilities?

I'm still hoping you find a solution Tom :)

Rick Kunath
WBCCI #3060