Re: [VACList] Ground Fault Protection

Jim,
  You're correct about the bare and white wires NOT being bonded at the
breaker box. All RVs are wired that way, in case you ever encounter a
mis-wired receptacle; that would make the entire trailer body "hot".
(I've encountered 'backwards' receptacles more than once, albeit not at
commercial campgrounds)

Many folks carry one of those little "receptacle testers" with the neon
lights. They test the plugin connection before hooking up their power
cord. Some even carry a home-made polarity reverser, it's a very short
extension cord (just a few inches long) that has the white and black
wires reversed at one end. The trick is to do the testing BEFORE
plugging your trailer in.

You can get GFCI circuit breakers; I have them in my house. If you can't
find one that fits your panel, you could add one outboard or replace the
panel. As someone else mentioned, GFCI extension cords also exist for
use by construction people.

One thing I do is to always leave the safety chains dangling on the
ground when connected to shore power. My hope is that they will present
a better path to ground than my body in case there is any sort of
problem. Dunno if they would, but I can hope. :-)

                             <<Jim>>