Re: [VACList] rv refridgerators

Hello Lexxy,

What you suggest is a very cost-effective solution to the fridge
problem, given that you always have 120-volt power available. We have
had many folks live here in trailers over the years, and those with a
$140 fridge from Costco use $8 worth of electricity every month as
compared to $30 for those using a Dometic on 120-volt power. Absorption
refrigerators are power-hogs on shore power. Where they shine is in a
situation where shore power is not available. We always run our Argosy
motorhome on gas, even though we often have shore power available.

Just cap off the T fitting. Rub a tiny bit to vaseline on the tapered
sealing surface of the fitting, and DON'T use teflon tape. Flare
fittings seal at the tapered surface, not at the threads like pipe
threads do. If you leave the fitting in place, it will simplify
re-installation of a gas fridge if you or a subsequent owner decides to
do that.

Also, for those with old Airstreams they are restoring, the use of a
compressor/electric fridge, either 120-volt or a 12-volt such as a
Norcold, allows them to keep the smooth, classic lines of their
trailers. I have never liked the added-on vents necessary to retrofit a
gas fridge to an older Airstream.

Best regards,

Rik