Re: [VAC] re: Gas leak=BOOM, almost.

A few notes about propane.
(none of this means that when a tech looks at our system and says 'leak'
that there is or is not a leak)
links on this
http://www.polkfire.com/propane.htm
http://www.ncpga.org/Safety.asp
http://seweb2.phillips66.com/hes/MSDS.nsf/MSDS/by+Product+Number/1012532
(msds for propane)
http://www.rvsafety.com/propsafe.htm
1. it's explosive limits are around  1.5% to 10%
2. the odorant,  (ethyl mercaptan) can oxidize and 'go away'  just sitting
in a tank
This is very important to us as we may have propane sitting in our tanks for
quite some time.
If you do not beleive this I have a new looking tank  that came with my A/S
and the stuff inside has NO SMELL it smells just like compressed air, and I
have a very good nose.
says a philipps 66 MSDS-
"Be aware that with odorized product the intensity of ethyl
             mercaptan stench (its odor) may fade due to chemical oxidation
             (in the presence of rust, air or moisture), adsorption or
             absorption.  Some people have nasal perception problems and may
             not be able to smell the ethyl mercaptan stench.  Other odors
             may mask or hide the ethyl mercaptan stench.  While ethyl
             mercaptan may not impart the warning of the presence of propane
             in every instance, it is generally effective in a majority of
             situations.  Familiarize yourself, and your customers, with
this
             warning, and other facts associated with the so-called
             "odor-fade phenomenon."  If you do not already know all the
             facts, write Phillips 66 Company and ask for more information
             about odor and the other safety considerations associated with
             the handling, storage and use of propane."
3. NFPA now says that the odorant is not a 100% thing and that some leaks
may go undetected by smell.
so their you have it PANIC! run for the hills every A/S is a silver bomb
just waiting to blow up ; )
--seriously, propane is safe, and a little bit of caution sould keep our
project out of the scap yard and us out of the tramua centers.