Re: [VAL] Eyebrow sealing

>Mitch, Dr. G,
>I was also changing out my clearance lights and tried to work the
>string-type bed putty to seal but did not like. The old white string bed
>putty was so very soft like new, but it was dirty and compressed so I did
>not want to reuse. I only had the gray tape putty, not the string or white
>string putty, and it just is too hard to cut to use.
>
>So will the Vulkem 116/636 apply like a tube poly, cure, but be removable
>like the bed putty?

Yes, that is my experience...

>I may find cause to periodically remove a clearance light and don't want
>it glued down.

I used Vulkem when I replaced my clearance lights amongst other repairs and
in the five years since, have not had any need to remove anything I've
sealed with Vulkem so can not qualify this but my feeling is that it will
not glue them permanently in place. Last such repairs were five years ago
and no leaks and the sealant at the edge of the seams is now in a firm
rubbery state. ...

Having done military aircraft repair work in the USAF years ago, I plan my
repairs to be permanent the first go, this includes resealing the two
smaller (14") roof vents, removing both the original water heater and the
furnace with modern ones, both requiring extensive skin adaption patches as
the originals were through the trailer wall installations.

>  NP-1 is incredible, but once applied, it will rip metal, impossible to
> detach. So you think Depot or Loews maybe will have the 116? What should
> I expect to pay?

I have only purchased it from Vintage Trailer Supply, I have not researched
any other sources as I'm usually buying other items from them at the same
time. You'll have to check them for the current price as I have not
purchased any recently.

>While in between uses (doing one at a time as time available) can I wrap
>cling wrap around the opened end, and store in the fridge to keep it from
>curing in the opened tube like I do for Poly or NP-1? In other words, will
>it harden beyond use in an opened tube?

Yes, it will harden in the tube, you must do as you mentioned above to slow
this process...

--
TNX, 73, Mitch Hill - K1FH
WBCCI #21960