Re: [VAL] boondocking

I doubt the file formats are the same. Ozi is designed for moving map
applications, originally for a sail boat, but works great in a truck.
Quakemap looks a little better at putting labels on the map/photo, but
since Ozi is designed for stand-alone use it is better at general
mapping processes.

I'd be glad to share a few files (waypoint, tracks, map comments) so you
can see the format. Ozi builds its tracks from the NEMA sentence sent by
the GPS, but the track file is a text file that doesn't contain all the
data that is included in the NEMA sentence.

One nice thing about Ozi is that you can make and calibrate maps from
scanned paper maps. You can even do screen shots from Mapquest and
stitch them together in Photoshop and calibrate them (but you'd have to
restrict them to your personal use due to copyright, and even that might
not be totally ethical).

Further, if you like 3-D, you can load DTED models (free from USGS) and
it will generate 3-D views of the terrain. Tracks will have height
profiles, etc. There is also a version that runs on CE based pocket PCs.

You can get a pretty powerful trial version at www.oziexplorer.com (the
author is in Australia). There is a very active and informed user group
on Yahoo. If you've ever wondered about datuums and elipsoids, you will
get an earful here, but you don't have to know squat about
geodetics/geodessey to use Ozi.

Roger