[VAL] boondocking

What a great database we could build! I can think of two sites that are
premium camping locations--one at the top of Vail Pass in Colorado and
the other in BLM land on the north side of exit 129 on I-70 in Utah (29
miles west of Green River). This site is up on the San Rafael Swell, an
area that should be a national park. The parking spot itself is nice and
the spectacular stuff is all within a radius of 10 miles (unless you
want to go down to Goblin Valley).

My suggestion is that we could build a boondocking database as a set of
waypoints that are compatible with most GPS units. I compile my own
similar database in Oziexplorer, which can display waypoints on highway
maps or topo maps, and can upload or download tracks and waypoints to
all the GPS models that I am familiar with. Right now my database tracks
3 things--camping spots, parked Airstreams, and photo opportunities, a
list of about 350 items so far. I've found that storing coordinates from
large scale maps like highway maps is way too innacurate (the mouse
pointer is a mile or two wide, at least), so I use 1:250K or 1:100K maps
on the computer.

Any interest?

Roger
Palmer Lake, CO