Re: [VAL] boondocking

> I doubt the file formats are the same. Ozi is designed for moving map
> applications, originally for a sail boat, but works great in a truck.

Quakemap does that also. But I wonder if GPSbabel or GSAK can cross convert
formats. I'll have to take a look.

> Quakemap looks a little better at putting labels on the map/photo, but
> since Ozi is designed for stand-alone use it is better at general
> mapping processes.

I'll definitely have to give OziExplorer a good look. Quakemap can operate
offline also, and can either use the various standard map formats, or while
online grab topos and aerial photos at whatever resolution you need over a
specified area of interest.

> I'd be glad to share a few files (waypoint, tracks, map comments) so you
> can see the format. Ozi builds its tracks from the NEMA sentence sent by
> the GPS, but the track file is a text file that doesn't contain all the
> data that is included in the NEMA sentence.
>
> One nice thing about Ozi is that you can make and calibrate maps from
> scanned paper maps.

That's something very interesting. Can OZi operate on online (or offline
downloaded) terraserver and USGS topo maps and aerial photos?

> You can even do screen shots from Mapquest and
> stitch them together in Photoshop and calibrate them (but you'd have to
> restrict them to your personal use due to copyright, and even that might
> not be totally ethical).
>
> Further, if you like 3-D, you can load DTED models (free from USGS) and
> it will generate 3-D views of the terrain. Tracks will have height
> profiles, etc. There is also a version that runs on CE based pocket PCs.

Also something I'd like to have, as Quakemap does not do 3D and Google Earth
gets me lost without the topographic maps to refer to while looking at the
terrain.

> You can get a pretty powerful trial version at www.oziexplorer.com (the
> author is in Australia). There is a very active and informed user group
> on Yahoo. If you've ever wondered about datuums and elipsoids, you will
> get an earful here, but you don't have to know squat about
> geodetics/geodessey to use Ozi.

Thanks for the tips,
Rick Kunath
Michigan