Re: [VAL] Inverter running the frig??

>> Can I plug in a 300watt inverter inside my trailer using the normal
>> 12v cig. plug or directly to the battery, then use a doulbe ended male
>> 110v cord from the
>> output of the inverter into a 110v outlet in the trailer. This would
>> back feed AC current into the breaker box, thus giving me the AC
>> current to my frig. The heating element on the frig is about 230watt.

Is the gas portion of your refrigerator broken? If so, I'd advise
getting it fixed. Since the refrigerator works on electric, it should be
a fairly simple fix to the gas burner portion.

As to your inverter question, I don't think this is practical.

You're going to need a lot larger inverter than a 300 watt unit for
continuous duty. Inverters are inefficient, so you'll need to figure on
probably in the neighborhood of 600 watts draw from the 12 volt
circuits. That's about 50 amps. You'll stress the charging connection in
your trailer plug with this high current draw, and may run out of tow
vehicle alternator charging output, risking discharging that battery
too. Not to mention that a 600 watt inverter will be fairly expensive.

I'd try to get the gas portion of the refrigerator going.

Rick Kunath
WBCCI #3060