Re: [VAL] towing caravel with mid-60's muscle car

Yes...stopping was my first concern...not just towing, but in any
situation I was
concerned about brake fade with the original drum brakes, thus my
recent front disc
brake conversion (by Stainless)....they are great!

And I don't think horsepower will be the issue with my Skylark GS with
the 401; rather,
as *Gerald J *pointed out, in a well written post, the challenges I
would face vis a vis
my existing transmission and associated gear ratios. The 2 spd that
Buick put in those things
are really geared for the highway, and not for pulling hills and/or
towing. It's even a bit of
a pig getting off a stoplight....so I'm going to see a local auto tranny
guru next week and
get some ideas from him about what sort of options I might have for
dropping something
more tow-friendly in there. I know that standard 350 turbo drops right
in, but I'm not sure
that'll do it either.

Also, getting back to the issue of trailer hitches and Vanessa's Lincoln
Town car (and someone
else posted that they were going to tow with a 68(?) Fairlane
convertible), I'm still puzzled,
when I look beneath my car, in the rear, where/how a trailer hitch
assembly is going to
attach. You guys have any thoughts?

alan
68 Caravel
66 Buick Skylark GS Convertible
48 Merc Woodie wagon (being re-assembled as I type)