Re: [VACList] Winter usage?

Paul,

As I read your note, it sounded to me like you plan to leave the water line
connected to your Airstream all Winter. You may want to reconsider that -
depending on how long a water line you need to use and "other" factors.

I've done it both ways and there are distinct advantages for refilling the
water tank with a warm hose every few days and then returning the hose to
your warm house until the next refill is needed. Of course, this assumes a
freeze proof water faucet on the outside of your house.

But, if you insist on having the water hose outside all Winter, I suggest
you call around to hardware or mobile home supply stores and ask if they
have electric heat tape for wrapping around outdoor water lines. Buy more
than you think you'll need. This is not a time to be skimpy.

You'll want to pay particular attention to the hardware fittings where your
outdoor water hose connects to the trailer AND to the area where the
trailer's water line goes inside the aluminum skin BEFORE going inside the
heated body of your Airstream. Those are easy places for freeze ups to
occur.

Years ago, I bought this tape in a packaged kit with insulation wrapping and
a thermostat. Once you see how tightly the tape has to be wound around the
water hose, you'll know if you need more for the entire job.

As you know, heat naturally rises. Thus, heat from an oil radiator will not
stay on the floor nor spill into remote floor areas where water pipes are
located. It'll need some help - an electric fan.  Thus, you'll need an
extension cord.  This is not the time to "make do" with some old extension
cord you haven't used in decades.  Use 30 amp not 20 amp.

An electric heater should be considered. It can do double duty and provide
serious heat during an unexpected blizzard when your propane tanks run out
and your regular Airstream furnace is no longer your "back up."

While you are making the heat tape installation, think ahead to how you'll
troubleshoot a problem - such as when there is a foot of snow on top of the
water line and heat tape. You might want to use PVC pipe (2" or 3"). It's a
good roof and floor for the water hose, tape and insulation, plus it holds
some of the warmth from the heat tape - if rags are stuffed into both ends.

The same general procedures should be used on your waste water line. If
you're really gung ho, put the entire thing in PVC and forget about dealing
with a fragile vinyl hose when temperatures are below freezing.  You know
the vinyl will crack if you even touch it - and then leak forever.

Is this making sense to you? I suspect others will offer ideas to the mix of
suggestions. Take your time and do it right - the first time. You don't want
a frozen water line and you don't want to do the job a second time.

The second time is not only harder in freezing weather, but you won't have a
cushion of time for leisure problem solving while wearing gloves, a heavy
coat and sitting in the snow repairing a frozen water line, trying not to
freeze your tush and working as fast as you can to finish the job before
dark and before another foot of snow (or inch of freezing rain) accumulates.

Been there, done that. No fond memories. It's now 45 years later and I can
laugh about those experiences. Back then, I knew everything and no one could
tell me anything. I could make more mistakes in one day than just about
anyone else I knew.  It was only because of persistence, ingenuity and
bravado that I mastered our plumbing needs during those Winters when we were
first married and living in a mobile home outside a Navy base in Maine.

Terry

mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net