[VACList] Furnace Repairs

RJ, Thanks for your thoughtful and extensive response to my questions. I
appreciate your approach of trying to restore the furnace insteat of just
replacing it. I may end up replacing it, but not without a fight.

Here's what I've learned. The furnace is not a Utah Hydro, but probably
Duo-Therm model 15T, as stated in my owners manual. This is a passive unit
and I'm convinced everything except the controlls is original. The controlls
have a large "ITT" stamped on the thermostat and they don't line up with the
holes in the cover.

I went to the documents that you referred to. They weren't for the unit I
have, but they did help me understand the whole configuration better. It's
also not the furnace that's in the '68GT in the archives that you sent me
to. I searched the archives for one that looked like mine without success.
My airstream is in the archives (from previous owner), but doesn't show the
furnace.

So, first I'm going to try to rebuild the chimney/vent. If that solves the
sooting problem, I'll try to get a few more years out of it. The burner can
seems to be solid throughout, except for the exhaust collar, which is rusted
through and was once repaired with a tin can. (Does "TCT" stand for "Tin Can
Technology"?) I'll try to fix that when I replace the exhaust pipe.

If I have to replace the unit, I'm leaning toward another passive unit. A
new Suburban would probably be faster and easier and give me additional
storage space, but the fact that it needs electricity to work is a big
negetive. I would like to check out the new passive units that you referred
to, if you can remember that manufacture's names.

Thank you,
Rick Langer