[VACList] Axles/shock replacement

Hi All,

Just pulled wheel/backing plate to get a good look at the mounting bracket
for the shock adsorber on my '69 Safari 23.  Quite a shock as I can't
imagine how the shock can be removed from the bracket welded to the torque
arm.  By feel, there's less than 1 inch between the end of the bolt (points
from the bracket to the frame) and the frame.  Can't imagine how the shock
will come off the bolt.  Seems to me that the Airstream engineers did it
again.  Was the shock intended only to be removed when the axle was dropped
from the frame?

So Airstream restorers, how does the shock come out if the axle isn't
dropped?

When I have the new brackets welded to the new torque arms, I'm thinking to
move the bracket within 1 inch of the frame and face the bolt outward, just
like the bolt that attaches the opposite end of the shock to the frame.
Anyone know a reason why this would not work?  The bracket is but welded to
the top of the torque arm and can be moved from inboard to outboard, at
least IMHO.

Has anyone had brackets welded to the torque arms?  For the engineers out
there, is there all that much shear stress on the bracket?

This is the last issue to be resolved before I order a new axle for the '69
Safari.  I've increased the weight of the axle from 5000#s to 5500#s.  Hub
to Hub, 12 inch drums, new oval electric brakes, for about $500 delivered to
my home! :)  The heavier axle is about $100 more than the lighter 3500# axle
for my '74 Argosy.

Oh, one other item I would like to clear up is the wheel offset.  Is it
different for different models of Airstream?  I'm thinking that my '69
Safari has a "0" offset?

As a last comment, I will have to drill new holes in the original mounting
plate on my '69 Safari.  The axle will be set in the existing cutout so the
weight distribution will be identical to the original.

Appreciate any insight list members have about this activity.

                 Regards, '69 Safari, Joy