Re: [VACList] Univolt

Noah,
  You're writing to another Jim, but I'll throw in my $.02 anyway. :-)

I used a $40.00 Wal-Mart battery charger on 2 different occassions when
my converter went belly-up. Just clipped it onto the battery; if I was
going to make it permanent, I'd put eyes on the wire ends instead of the
clips.

Now, here's the deal: that battery charger is supposed to be
"automatic", so I shouldn't have to worry about over-charging the
battery(s). I didn't use it long enough to know for sure. Although it
was rated at 10 amps and our load often exceeds that, it works OK
because the batteries make up the difference as needed. It would NOT
work if we spent all day in the trailer and had a >10 amp load most of
the time. Of course, this isn't the case, so the charger has a chance to
catch up the battery charge.

It would be a very bad idea to be connected to shore power, electricity
going to the charger, and have NO battery installed, or one that is
totally shot. The charger would supply too much voltage to the circuitry
with no battery installed, and you might blow some light bulbs or
sensitive electronics. The Inteli-Power doesn't have that problem, you
can operate w/o a battery if you wish.

It makes no difference if you disconnect the UniVolt or not.

                            <<Jim>>