Re: [VACList] Re: [VAC] Re: Suburban Furnace nt-16

Dr. Johnson,

  To answer your question the metal of the combustion chamber is in good
shape where the hose meets it.  It is also in good condition on the
combustion fan side.

  The commutator looks worse than it is.  This is my opinion and not that of
the automotive shop.  The copper is about 0.070" and turning it would take
about 0.014".  I doubt that one needs to get the last groove out.  I will be
mailing it off tomorrow.  I could do it myself, but I want to see how it
should be done properly to get the maximum life out of the motor.  It is
worth $5.

  Please tell me your technique to fit a brush.

  I see there are two felt pads recessed into the end caps of the motor.  I
would like to clean these.  What solvent is recommended, and what oil should
I relube with?  I have heard that synthetic is good.  What weight of oil?
My boiler man recommended a Wagner high quality all purpose oil for the
combustion fan of our boiler.  It's probably about 20 weight.

  I hope I'm not asking too many questions.

  I should drive over there, but the roads are really nasty in central
Montana right now.  The temp this morning is only 5*F.  Not worth a 200 mile
trip.  :)

Thanks again for you help.

Jim Widdicombe