Re: [VAC] Re: Suburban Furnace nt-16

Hi Jim,

  I finally just tore the whole thing apart.  It was a good opportunity to
see just how good of shape this old furnace was in.  The plenum and heat
exchangers look old, but they are still healthy.  No soft spots.

  I have the motor out and can see the brushes are shot, not enough length
left.  Any suggestion on where to get new brushes.   Napa did not have a
clue.  The commutator is pretty rough but I think I can turn that a bit.
I'm not trying to make a new furnace out of this, but just trying to get
through the winter.  The original brushes were 0.24 inches square and about
1/2 inch long.  On the NT16 there are 0.045 inch (20 gauge?) leads about an
inch long.  The new diameter of the commutator was 0.868 inches, after I am
done turning it, it will be less.

  If anyone is using an old furnace you might check that rubber connector
between the fresh air blower and the combustion chamber.  Mine had a couple
of large cracks in it.  Napa has some 1-7/8 radiator hose that should fit
it.

Thanks for the help.

Jim Widdicombe