[VAC] Tow Vehicles

Does anyone have good experiences towing vintage AS's with light weight tow
vehicles?  It seems the reason that the Fifties A/S's were designed very
light so that they could be towed by the family sedan.  They didn't have the
huge tow rigs we have now.  I presently tow my 26'er with an '84 LTD with a
302 and get 14mpg and though it is slower on long grades, the fuel economy
is great.
I would like to get a fullsize shortbed p'up for greater versatility.  Does
anyone have experience with the Ford 300cid 6 cyl?  My trailer only weighs
4500lbs fully loaded and I would like to contitue getting good towing
milege.  I don't care if I loose 15mph or so on grades as I'm in no hurry.
Vanessa
56' Overlander