The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Norcold Fidge

Curtis,
No. It is a 2-way. It operates on 120vac, or Propane with a 12 volt
controller. If it was a 3-way, it would additionally operate on 12vdc. The
12 volts this unit uses is only for controller operation and not for
cooling. The operation of the controller is simply to automatically switch
to available fuel without attendance. Whether dual or triple fueled, the
operation is designed to be uninterruptible with the automatic controller,
or manually selected with the 12 volt control panel.

I don't believe this model needs any heavy wire and separate additional
wiring. I would not and did not do that for mine. It is just un-necessary
work using a wide range unpredictable voltage power risk from the house
converter in my experience and opinion. This is only my opinion of an
avoidable risk I perceive for a very nice and expensive unit. This opinion
which I chose to share and offer, probably has no others with a similar
concern or who would agree. That is truly ok. To each their own.

I am not and was not trying at all to be technical. I simply looked up the
simple specs, gave examples of wire size usage in terms of amps, and a
simple example of what is 1 ampere trying to show the lack of need for heavy
wiring. The unit maximum load is barely over 1 amp. The instructions are
just very universal. That's all I was trying to illustrate for you. I am
sorry you perceive it technical but do understand how you would see it that
way.

If you are more comfortable running a heavy 12 volt service to the fridge
you will probably be just fine and successful. Others do it all the time
with no problems. You cannot do it thru your "house" lights wiring if you do
believe it needs such a heavy wire as the house wiring to lights are not 10
gauge. If you do run any direct wiring to it from the battery, you should
fuse that positive wire at the battery or source because if anything goes
wrong the wire can rapidly burn.

Your converter and 12 volt wiring is across the aisle and in the rear. Your
battery is on the front and in the center. If you want to run two heavy
wires, you probably will have to follow the LP supply line from the tongue
right up to and into the fridge compartment. You can do it loose-wire with
just nylon ties, or you could do it using plastic grey, white, or whatever
pvc for conduit putting that beside the LP pipe to the fridge from the
front. I cannot think of a way to run it across the hall, or down the sides
to get two wires to the rear and opposite side.

-Eddie-
Houston, TX