The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Water heater options

Our freshwater tank is small (~10gal) and steel, although probably
lined. I agree, that it probably didn't need replacement, but it seemed
silly not to replace it as I am replacing just about every other part of
the water system. The 20gal poly tank I got was only $45 bucks anyhow.
:-) With the amount of rust and particles that came out of the faucets
when I pressurized the system with the air pump, I figured I had better
sort it all out before we go dry camping with it.

I honestly haven't even looked for the name of the manufacturer of our
current H/W tank, but I'm guessing its a Bowen based on the shape and
pictures I've seen elsewhere. From some of the things I have read,
Atwoods sound like a more straightforward replacement to the Bowens, but
I have read some successful Suburban conversions. I guess I need to
measure the opening and such this weekend. It just stinks because I can
find DSI Suburbans for $200 less than the Atwoods.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "It was never necessary to open the
outside water fill thing with the original setup." Do you mean you have
to open up the exterior for the demand pump to work? I plan on putting
our new pump on the same 12V switch our air pump is on, so It should be
the same. Our outside fill port was part of the leaking air problem why
we couldn't get full pressure on the system, but I am definitely keeping
it on the new tank. I just need to find a new washer for it.

Tanks for the insight, and I look forward to hearing the brand you put
in your SS. I have only been reading Airpreen, replacement stories, so
it is good to get the SS point of view.
Aaron