Re: [VAL] Winter camping

Hi Daisy,
Airstreaming for us in Wyoming has lead to many camping trips during both
good and bad weather in the late fall and early spring.  We usually try to
push the envelope and get out in March or April in order to feel as though
we can camp at lest one half the year.

Believe it or not we have actually experienced winter camping in late August
in Grand Teton National Park where we awoke to several inches of fresh snow.
How remarkable the Tetons looked that pristine morning after the mist
lifted.

Now days we mostly take the Globe Trotter into the back country because its
cabin is easier to heat with its small gas heater.  During late October one
can easily encounter winter camping in the high mountains.  At that time the
low country will still be mild but early storms can put in a foot of snow
above 7000 feet.

The animals at these times are changing from either winter or summer habits
and habitats as well as putting on a new set of clothing; at present the
gold finches are fletching their bright colors for the spring mating season,
the elk and deer are sprouting new antlers and the grizzly bears are
emerging throughout the river drainages surrounding Yellowstone National
Park.  They tend to be hungry and somewhat cranky this time of year.
Creating opportunities for close encounters!

Now we have the cat and dog to take along as well so when the weather really
socks in they are also inside the trailer, this has made for complicated
camping, but where there is a will there is a way and one can always find
fun.  Just maintain a good since of humor and take ether hot brandy or
spirits of some kind along.

I hope to read your story once you have published it...good luck.

GAS