Re: [VAL] Winter camping

Hi Gerald,

If you don't mind, I'd like to pick your brain more about winter
camping. I put together a list of questions that I hope will evoke more
material for my article. I really liked what you said about it being
quieter camping off season than at home on the farm in Iowa. For me
personally, that absolute silence is the most profound part of camping.

Winter Camping Questions-
"Winter", for this article can be anytime that isn't the usual
T-shirt/shorts kind of vacation camping, anytime the regular campgrounds
in your area are closed or closing soon. It should be good and chilly if
not flat out cold with possible snow showers. (The night it went down to
23 in FL doesn't count) Even if you "camped" in your own back yard, or
just got caught in unseasonable weather, I'm happy to have your
thoughts. Ignore any questions that don't apply or are too tedious.

1. Where did you do your first winter camping? Was it "on purpose"?

2. Were you alone or with a group?

3. Have you winter camped as part of an outdoor winter activity like
skiing or hunting?

4. What is different about winter camping compared to summer? (Go easy
on the technical part)

5. What are the best and worst parts of winter camping?

6. Do you have any amusing stories? See any animals?

7. Do you bravely grill outside? Recipes?

8. Have any favorite winter camping places ? And how did you find them ?
How can folks in other places find WC sites ?

9. What was it like? (Extra points for scintillating imagery and
evocative prose here)

Thanks for your time,

Daisy