[VAL] Neat trick, isolating metals

    All,

    I may have already mentioned this before, or for that matter someone
else might have already shared this neat trick with you.

    When mating two dissimilar metals, consider using adhesive-backed
underground pipe wrap on the mating surfaces.  I did this today when
remounting the pressed steel door latch used to hold the main door open
against the aluminum skin.  It's a simple matter of applying the tape to the
bottom of the latch just prior to pop riveting it back to the skin.

    I removed that latch yesterday to prime and repaint it and was shocked
at the rust left beneath it on the aluminum skin, thus the tape protection
this morning.

    This tape is available at any good hardware store and is essentially a
2" wide, very thick roll of electricians tape.  I have two rolls, one 20
mils thick and another thinner one at 10 mils.  The neat thing about it is
that the adhesive keeps the tape in place while you cut the excess off with
an X-acto knife, including cutting out the mounting holes.

    The whole taping job might add all of about 1-2 minutes to the
replacement time and will insure that the metals are permanently separated.

    Now on to rebedding the rooftop vent and installing the stabilizer
jacks.  (Uwe, I'll call you and schedule a visit this coming week to see
your installation, thanks).

    Glyn