RE: [VAL] EU 2000

Randy,
Per Dometic, the 13,500 Penguin (Heat Pump and Standard) REQUIRE a 3500Watt
genset to start reliably.  The surge current at startup depends on the
outside temp, the residual head pressure on the compressor and the actual
voltage that the Penguin has to work with (lower voltage requires more
current).  Again per Dometic, the absolute minimum voltage that can start
the Penguin is 103.5V.  Dometic states that 103.5 is safe for long term
operation although I personally prefer 110.  Recently Tin Hut and I
purchased the Yamaha EF30iSEB (formally EF3000iSEB) gensets and have been
using them here at 9000' in the Sacramento Mts of NM.  We have been running
our Penguins in Heat Pump mode occasionally and I can tell you at this
altitude, you need all the 3500W that the Yamaha can output (for 10 seconds
max).  The Yamaha's are proving a hit in the campground due to the extremely
low noise levels.  The campground host came by and made the comment that he
had never heard so quiet a genset and that included the Honda's.  The only
downside that we see with the larger Yamaha is the weight (153#s).  The
Yamaha comes in two versions, one with a 500w boost feature (totally of
3500W) and electric start, the other no boost (think it is pull start only).
So far, the only time the Yamaha's have complained is the few times that the
coffee pot has been brewing and the Heat Pump tried to start.  We brought
ours from www.uscarb.com and ordered them with the propane/natural
gas/gasoline fuel option.  Really nice to not have to mess with gasoline.
Tin Hut got 5 days of about 4-5 hours per day use out of a 20# propane tank
and I am still running on my 30# tank with about 1/3 showing still remaining
(I have run mine about the same amount as Tin Hut).

David