Re: [VAL] WBCCI dues, etc. and running at large

Yes, we've seen that it just cost $1.00 to become an associate member of
that unit.

> Have you considered joining the Washington DC Unit?  It is a virtual unit
> and none of them live in DC.

I did hear them calling Wally Byam Control. What I'm suggesting would not be
in place of but in addition to their home-based radio system.  I was told
that if I wasn't around when the messages were broadcast then I'd just miss
them entirely.  This is not a satisfactory answer.

> Have you heard folks calling Wally Byam Control, looking for answers to
> their questions?  Wouldn't be able to do them with an FM broadcast.

I'd pay my fair share as I always do.  We can have a once a  year event with
all the goodies and if we all share the cost it will be good for the group.
You can't cherry-pick or choose ala carte items when it comes to big ticket
items such as electricity, wi-fi, etc.  If we do that we might as well go
back to the primitive 3-amp power cord to charge the batteries and a candle
for a lamp and who wants to go backwards other than a real Airstream purist
trying to re-enact the old way of doing things the Wally way *before* we had
our creature comforts?  I won't travel that far again to do without and
neither would you I'm betting.

>> Why couldn't we have provided Wi-Fi to our membership at the 'camp'?
> How much would you be willing to pay over and above your registration fee?
>> If Airstream wants to do as they have in the past and sell 60% of their
>> product to the WBCCI membership then changes are needed.

Actually, you are stating the case today with the WBCCI membership only
buying 20% of the products made.  The membership *used to purchase 60%* of
the product made.  I believe that if you did a comparison to how many
members we had when 60% of club members bought Airstream's product compared
to how many fewer members we have today buying just 20% of Airstream's
product you will have connected the dots for my argument.

Airstream can't continue to succeed with the WBCCI purchasing only 20% of
their output.  One recession over a few years time will put the skids on
their future plans and who know what would happen after that?

Baby-boomers have money, lots and lots of money to spend in their
retirement.  911 gave our population a wake-up call about what is really
important in this world and that is our families are more precious than we'd
ever thought about since at least WWII anyway.  Baby-boomers are buying the
vast majority of the new RVs on the road today while others are upgraders
from lesser brands, etc.

Airstream is now making models that old members won't buy as many consider
them "too modern" or "not traditional", etc. as is the case with the CCD
models.  Airstream didn't make the CCD models for the elderly in our midst,
they make them for those who think into the future.  Airstream plans to
incorporate plugs to insert mp3 players, outside speakers and TV units, etc.
Wi-Fi is also big on the list as are satellite receivers both for TV and the
Internet.  Oldsters in the club usually don't have much use for all that
stuff but the boomers sure do as they've been using them for years in their
jobs and at home.  See?  We want our toys to take with us on the road, too.
;)

If the baby-boomers are not signing up in the WBCCI club when they purchase
an Airstream then I think we are all missing the boat as far as our future
club growth goes.  The boomers would join our club - but they are not in
favor of joining what must appear to be a cult-like following of
caravaners - today's club can NOT be your grand-father's Unit in the WBCCI
in otherwords.

Times have changed, WBCCI needs to enact changes necessary to attract ALL
Airstream product owners - both old members who renew their memberships
yearly but also those who want to travel and make new friends for fun and
fellowship.

If WBCCI does not make itself attractive to younger, baby-boomer purchasers
the club will surely die as we know it.  How low do the numbers have to go
before everyone realizes this?  How low?

On another note - if WBCCI does die another travel club with Airstream in
it's name will emerge.  Of that I'm sure.  Can you say Airstream Boomers for
instance? :)  The old guard or oldsters or older folks or old people in our
group needs to embrace change for the sake of the WBCCI or else - it will
surely die and I'd hate to see that happen but it will.  Too many old
members have told me just what I've posted here - believe it or not.

> Actually, that's not the case,  Airstream has said that only about 20% of
> their sales are to WBCCI members.  I don't think internal 'issues' within
> the WBCCI are even apparant to new, non-member purchasers.
> Rob Davis
> '64 GlobeTrotter
> Denver, CO

Tom Meeker