Re: [VAL] installing rooftop air-conditioner for first time

Charlie,

If I never found that drain kit pan in a timely manner I would have "had to"
purchase it from Camping World.  But Dometic still makes the identical
air-conditioner AND the drain pan kits.  I didn't mind the problem of them
not having one handy, what burned me up was the fact that after all the
money they'd make or had already made selling me a brand-new Penguin unit,
they'd STILL charge me *shipping charges* to bring in an item they NEEDED to
do the installation job of an air-conditioner they'd already sold me.
That's it in a nutshell.

I plan to keep the original Dometic Penguin 13,500 btu air-conditioner,
straighten out the fins and have the unit serviced.  When or if the time
comes that I feel that a single unit of 13,500 btu won't cool our 34'
Classic FK trailer I will then at that time install the older unit also.

Yesterday was an expensive day to say the least as we need to (1) be
prepared for heat in Missouri and (2) be prepared for any loss of electrical
service at the International rally which could happen.  So just in case I am
now prepared to have more electricity available than my Honda EU3000is
generator can supply - I purchased from Mayberrys.com additional power in
the form of two EU2000is generators which will arrive day after tomorrow,
Friday.

I now plan to have a diamond plate aluminum box built that will compliment
the Classic's looks and it will house the two new Honda EU2000is
generators - sort of like a saddlebag arrangement mounted on a frame between
the rear of the LP tanks and forward of the trailer body.

The Honda EU3000is will find use in our garage that is detached from the
house and does not have it's own power supply.  The electric company would
install a second meter on my property for just $10.00 per month whether I
used electric power or not - and of course I'd have to pay the kW charge for
the power I did use.  After doing the math I am better off using a generator
when needed for power in the garage, especially when they run as
economically as these Honda inverter models do.

Speaking of large generators I have a nearly new Makita 6100R 5800 watt
generator for sale.  I'm open to offers of whatever from cash to ...
whatever.

Tom Meeker
WBCCI 5303