Re: [VAL] Springfield to I-81 in Virginia

Hi Paul, I have to say I-44 through Missouri is not one of my favorite
routes.  Having just traveled it twice in the last 2 weeks, I will say
it is in need of work.  It is pretty rough, it's a favored truck route
from St Louis west, and it is very "rolling" so the trucks are
constantly blowing by you on the down hill stretches, then cutting over
to the right lane as they creep up and over the next hill.  Most of the
way it is only 4 lanes, and it really should be 6.  There are signs
posted that indicate lanes will be added in 2005 and 2006, so you may
want to check whether the construction will be underway during your
travel dates.  Some limited segments have already been improved,
including a few miles near Springfield.

As an aside, Missouri (at least along I-44) seems oblivious to the
Federal highway beautification act.  It seems you wind up seeing a lot
more of the billboards than you do of Missouri.

Kevin Allen's advice is good; check out the secondary routes wherever
possible.  We just returned from a 4500 mile trek through the midwest
and southwest US, and the  secondary routes we found to be generally in
excellent condition with more scenery and less competition!  You may
actually save time, and will almost certainly have a more enjoyable
trip.  Wish I could recommend such a route through Missouri, but someone
on the list will have the scoop you need!

Regards--
John