[VAL] Springfield to I-81 in Virginia

I plan to attend the 50th in Springfield, Mo. this June. On the way out
from Va., I plan to run I-70 to I-44 to Springfield, Mo.. Mapquest
says it's about 1,063 miles from Front Royal, Va. to Springfield, Mo.
going that way. Anyone know of a better way?
But on the way back, I was thinking about running
I-44 up to St. Louis, then take old RT50 west back to I-81 in Va.. Has
anyone ever made this run? If so, good/bad/fair idea? I figure leave
International on the Monday the 4th, then take up to Fri/Sat. to get back.
My guess, that would be about 200/250 miles a day. It might even be a
good chance to run a caravan back to the east and from I-81 people
go north/south?? Any thoughts?

Paul Waddell
WBCCI/WDCU/VAC 1270