Re: [VAL] Shirley's Factory Tour Pictures

Hi Hunter,

Airstream and many of its dealerships have the same attitude toward the
vintage folk (and VAC) as they do toward the WBCCI. At present, they don't
see any need to support either organization as they are selling all of their
product as fast as they can make it. From that strictly business point of
view it is easy to see why they don't think we do "anything" for them. If we
look at the statement in that light then Champ is simply stating fact - we
may have helped them get to their current market position, but there is
nothing more we can do to increase sales since sales currently exceed
production.

The indignation is that Airstream is seen as an ingrate. Today, Airstream
does not need us, but the WBCCI sure needs Airstream. Back when Wally was
alive, Airstream wasn't just a business, it was a passion, and the WBCCI was
an extension of the company, an example of the "Way of Life" that Wally and
Airstream wanted to promote. Airstream continues to rest on that laurel to
promote sales - just look at their sales brochure. Yet, the vast majority of
customers who buy new Airstreams don't become members of the WBCCI, and
Airstream isn't doing much to change that. So, even though we remain loyal
to Airstream, it seems that Airstream sees us as superfluous. It is just
business to them, nothing personal.

For instance, it's my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong), the president
of Airstream, Dicky Riegel, didn't own an Airstream until well after Thor
hired him to run the company. He may be an owner of one now, and may even
have "the bug" now, but at least initially, he was put there not because of
his passion for Airstreaming, but simply, and only for his business ability.

It is hard to swallow the cold, dispassionate business mentality. Take the
Airstream Company Homecoming event. As wonderful as it is, consider that
just across and down the road from the company is WBCCI headquarters, yet
the event is not a sanctioned WBCCI rally. The executive of Airstream
however, continues to hold a position (non-voting, but never-the-less
influential) on the WBCCI Board of Trustees. Many WBCCI and VAC members
attend this event. While they are at the factory a number of them will have
repairs and/or modifications made to their units.
This benefits the Airstream Company, but what reciprocity is there (since
I've yet to attend this company event, I am sincerely asking)?

I actually know first hand that our vintage units help sell new Airstreams.
There are members who first caught the Airstream bug by attending a vintage
rally, but found out (through us) that a vintage unit was a lot of work and
possibly even just as expensive as a new one in the long run. Some of those
members consequently bought new or nearly new units. I have always been up
front about that, and have never promoted vintage over new because some of
our members do not have the means to enjoy the vintage experience. They may
have physical limitations, do not have the time, or are simply not
tinkerers.

I also feel that buying a used unit is okay for Airstream. Members often
sell their older Airstream just so they can buy a new one, but that wouldn't
happen if there wasn't a used market. Statistically, as they get older, many
WBCCI members eventually 'move up' to bigger and newer units. The used (read
vintage) Airstream market serves to get customers feet wet, so to speak, and
when they find they like it they eventually buy a new one. These kinds of
sales take time and are hard to track. American business practices are no
more far sighted in that respect than they are hind sighted. That is, how
well can they project their future, when they don't even know their past?
See Fred Coldwell's thread about the C-W Clipper at the Airstream factory as
an example.

Forrest McClure
'66 Globe Trotter, '66 Overlander
Denver Unit #24 1st Vice-President