Re: [VAL] Shirley's Factory Tour Pictures

My thoughts are that while we on this list, (as well as those on Hunter's
list) know what a modern Airstream is, as well as what a vintage Airstream
is, the general public does not necessarily perceive them in the same way.
In my experience, the general public considers an Airstream to be a very
shiny trailer with a rounded shape.  In fact, I believe that they perceive
the highly polished ones to be more representative of what an Airstream
trailer looks like.

I have a highly polished 1965 Streamline brand trailer.  Most people that I
encounter outside of the Airstream community believe it to be an Airstream
when they see the trailer.  I have heard the 18 wheelers refer to the
trailer as an Airstream, and many folks have come up to me and asked me
about my "Airstream".  All of this, depite the fact that it has very visible
Streamline logos all over the trailer.

My point here is that the general public outside the Airstream community is
certainly familiar with the Airstream name, and moreover has a certain
perception of what an Airstream trailer should look like.  That perception
tends to be more like the vintage Airstream trailer than the more current
models.  Probably there is a nostalgia factor here with the older models
too.

Anyway, I think that there is no doubt that the popularity of the vintage
Airstreams is a positive advantage for the company, and I think that it
helps to draw people to the brand, and to sell their current models.  In my
mind, the company is making an error if they don't exploit this perception
and free marketing tool.  Take a look at Maytag, and how they have
sucessfully exploited the reputation of their earlier models.  No question
in their minds that the early Maytag models add to current Maytag sales.  I
think that a whole lot more folks know the Maytag name than the Airstream
name.  Neverless, Maytag finds that early models still sell current models.

-Tom