Re: [VAL] Towing, Shocks & Tongue Weight

Courtney,

If the truck is bouncing it sounds as if it may need shocks. If the shocks
are good it should bounce once and stop. The trailer shocks should have
little to no effect on the truck, just the trailer. However if they are
originals (they probably are) they are long overdue for replacement. I just
replaced shocks on my '73. Got them from an Airstream dealer---they are
Gabriel T406145A   610816. I am assuming that one shock fits all post 1961
Airstreams. Don't know if any place that handles Gabriels can get them for
you or not.

Your trailer tow vehicle combination should be OK without the weight distrib
bars as your truck is made to support MUCH more weight than the trailer is
placing on it.

Since you have a single axel trailer it is not (in my opinion) critical to
have the trailer level while towing. That said, a level trailer looks MUCH
better going down the road. It will also help avoid scraping the ground
going in and out of steep driveways. The drop bar you need is available.
Keep on looking! I have seen drop bars that make the Reese "deep drop" bar
look puny. Most likely the dealer will have to special order it, and you may
have to look at different brands.

As far as tongue weight. Too much will affect a tow vehicle by overloading
the rear axle and lifting too much off the front axle, however this will not
come into play given your 1 ton truck and small trailer...unless you try to
haul two tons of rock and your Airstream! Too little will affect the
trailer. 10-15% of the total loaded weight of the trailer should be on its
tongue. Less will cause the trailer to wag once you reach highway speeds.

Scott Scheuermann