Re: [VAL] some more travel questions...

Tom et.al.

> My opinion on courtesy parking is this:
>
> You allow members or people you know park somewhere, out of the way,
> on your property for the night/day or whatever you work out. Work
> out?  Yes, they'd need to make contact rather than just show up -- a
> bit of notice is polite and that "parking" you were hoping for might
> be already taken by someone else so giving notice, asking permission
> beforehand is very important.

My sentiments, exactly.

> At the very least I would be expecting to be allowed to park off the
> street with no utilities.  At the very most full hookups would be
> fantastic! ;)) Anything in-between those two limits would be
> graciously accepted.

We are planning on full hookups one day, but right now you're looking at
water and electric from the house.  Of course in this neck of the woods
you could park IN the street and the two cars a day that pass by would
just go around.  The street is 2 miles long and there are only 2 houses
on it.  My neighbour is 295 and I'm 301.  Still haven't figured out the
numbering scheme.

> I would also think that a small "thank you!" gift would be nice to
> give the host, but certainly not to be *expected* by the host because
> after all it was offered to park there as a courtesy.

I plan to carry little "New Mexico" things to make it more personal.  As
a host, though, a simple "Pleased to meet you!" will be enough.

> One thing I would never want anyone to think of me or my family
> personally was that we took advantage of a host's generous offer.
> Courtesy is something that is offered and that goes both ways for both
> the host and the guest/s.
>
> Courtesy parking allows members (list members and WBCCI, etc.) to meet
> others who have like interests which can be a great experience for all.

That's really what it's all about, getting to meet as yet unmet friends.

> All of us that both offer and take advantage of courtesy parking needs
> to go that extra mile for all the hosts out there so that they never
> feel like they are sorry they offered it in the first place.  We would
> also be expected to clean up after ourselves AND our pets.  I couldn't
> think of anything more rude than not cleaning up after yourselves and
> your pets.

That would get stale in a hurry.

> How'd I do?

A+.  Go to the head of the class!