[VAL] Update-Thanks for the help & some travel questions...

Good Morning,

Thanks to all who responded with suggestions for fixing my poor aging
appliances. I'm pleased to announce that they are (almost) all working now.

I ripped the Carlson out, cleaned all the gas valves and ran it in my yard on
a barbecue tank for 24 hours. I re-installed it and it seems to work fine. It
doesn't get quite as hot in the trailer as I had hoped, but on a night when
the outside temp was in the 20's, the lowest it went inside was 46. According
to my high-low thermometer. I may add a supplementary ceramic AC unit later.

I took the gas valve apart on the Bowen as well, cleaned it all up and
reinstalled it. I was extremely careful with all the delicate springs and
gaskets. (Unusual for one as ham handed as I) When I went to light it I had a
small scare however: the gas control unit was not sealed properly and flames
crept from the pilot back to the valve. I was bug-eyed to say the least.
Tightened everything up, gave it the soapy water test, and it's good to go.

I also found a small drip from my old bronze dump valve. The smallest black
drip is unacceptable, as you know. I took the valve off, cleaned everything,
polished the gate surface, re-placed the O ring and shimmed it slightly. When
I reinstalled everything, I was so happy to see it bone dry.

Of course when I was re-installing the belly panels I drilled a 1/8th hole
DIRECTLY into the sink/tub PVC drain pipe. I was too lazy to fix it properly
so I just hose clamped it.

After all the drama, I decided to turn all my systems on at once and gloat.
Can you believe that the only thing I couldn't get working was my BRAND NEW
Norcold fridge? I put it in two years ago and never used it, except to test
it. I'm afraid to fiddle with something so modern. I'll have the trailer
place look at it before I go.

Oh yeah, I also re-upholstered, got new curtains, carpeting, halogen
lighting, Bose sound system and a 23" Toshiba LCD TV! All this in preparation
for a trip cross-country for a month or two. New York to LA.

I will be taking a southern route and would love some suggestions about
campgrounds, sights to see, tips & tricks etc. I have no traveling
experience..only a few weekend trips fishing near here with my old Caravel
years ago..

Thanks!

Courtney

PS Where's Hunter these days?

PPS Will someone tell me how to turn the italics off?