Re: [VAL] My electric jack

Hi Kent,

I haven't kept up with this tread, so my reply might be a bit dated.

My jack stopped working a while back.  I tried to keep it covered with a
plastic tarp, but it didn't always work.  I did all the usual stuff,
including powering the jack directly to eliminate any trailer wiring
problem - still didn't work.  VOM said that the windings were still in tact
or hopelessly shorted.  So, I took the motor off and disassembled it.  Had a
hard time getting the armature out because rust globs prevented it from
moving.  Finally got it out and cleaned up the rust and got the brushes set
properly.  Oiled appropriately and applied anti corrosion to the interior.
Reassembled, the motor would run perfectly direct from the battery, but not
through the switch.  Try as I may, I couldn't get the switch to operate
properly as corrosion damaged the connections and I couldn't tighten them
enough to make contact and/or damaged the contacts in the process.  Had to
order a new switch.  With the new switch installed, all is well.  Also
ordered a proper weather hood for the head to limit a similar problem in the
future.

You will realize that continuously trying to energize the motor with the
armature locked will burn the motor out. :(  Replacement motors are
available from the manufacturer and might be the best path to investigate
along with a new switch.  Though the power head looks to be water proof,
it's not by a long shot.  You'll find substantial corrosion as  you
disassemble the head.  Best to clean things up and use an anti-corrosion
coating to maintain the power head.

Just my thoughts and experience.

                                                        '69 Safari, Joy