[VAL] My electric jack

Please fellow listers be patient with me, my expertise is not in mechanical
things but I will offer prayer to all who offer help to me.
The cruel, unethical, thief who sold me the electric jack for my trailer
refuses to take the worthless piece of junk back so I have no choice but to
make it work since I do not have another $150.00 to invest in another jack. I
will provide his name to anyone who wants so you will not be ripped off by him
since he is still selling vintage Airstream parts.
When the jack is installed it does not run. The wire connected to it is hot
and on an amp meter without the jack switch on registers 12.43 when I turn the
jack switch on the amp meter registers 00.04. I have the amp meter set on the
V-  20 setting. Holding the red lead to the connected wires and the black to
the grounded installation plate. Does anyone know what is wrong and what I
need to do?
Hopefully I have provided enough information please let me know if you need
more info.
Chaplain Kent