RE: [VAL] Stuff on the bottom of the bathtub

Hello Ed, et al.

I also have this same question, as I have removed the tub to replace a
section of floor in the bathroom.  I was considering taking it to one of the
local "nu-surface" establishments, that restore shower stalls, tubs etc.  In
the floor, I found a twelve to eighteen inch rotted section at the joint
between the wardrobe and the tub enclosure, where water had seeped in from
the shower spray.  The curve of the surface provide by the foam stuff seems
to be important.  It appears that it supports not only the weight carrying
load inside, but also the drain pipe asssembly.  The drain pipe in ours
cracked, perhaps in part because of the deterioration of the foam stuff.
(Our trailer was also negatively impacted from extended use with worn axles
and shocks).  The frame was rusted so badly from plumbing leaks and water
wicking under the rear skin, we  replaced two feet of the main girders, and
beefed up two cross-members.  The floor patch in the back of the trailer
required complete removal of all bathroom fixtures.  When I looked at the U
channel, it was rusted, and broken in about a dozen places, so I had to
remove the interior skin panels to effect a repair there.  I am in the
process of fabricating a new U-channel for the rear bow, since A/S only
makes one for the wide bodies now, and I have not been able to locate one
for the narrow bodies.  Patience is a difficult thing to prescribe to my
spouse at this point!

Chris in Austin
'63 Ambassador