Re: [VACList] Dura-Torque Axle on 1960 Pacer?

That does sound like a dura-torque axle. It may have been a late 1960 Pacer,
as the changeover from leaf spring axles in the early 1960's time frame
doesn't seem to be have been all at once. It could also be a retrofit, too.
As a result, there may not be upstops. (hunks of thick metal welded to the
frame above the trailing arms). Upstops were standard until 1974 when they
became internal to the axle.

A still good axle should have the arm angled downward with the weight on the
wheels. Having just replaced the axle on our '65 Caravel, I was amazed how
much that angle is on a new axle - about 20 degrees. The trailer now sits a
good 3 inches higher.  One inch is due to the change in axle bracket design.
The trailer tracks and pulls with noticeable improvement too, and I didn't
think it was bad to begin with.

The axle change went rather well. You have to drill 4 new 11/16th" holes in
the frame mount brackets. The only pain is getting new shock mounts welded
to the axle, as the modern ones are in different positions than the old.  A
welding shop did it for me for $60.

As for checking out your axle, any Airstream dealer can do that:
http://airstream.com/dealer_locator/index.html

They can also replace the axle if necessary - but if you want to do it
yourself, you have to order it from Andy at InlandRV
(http://www.inlandrv.com/axles/).  Henschen is a wholesale mfg, selling
primarily to OEM, and was getting overburdened by all the old Airstream
inquiries. Their other choice was not selling individual axles at all, so
this is better than nothing I guess. Cost is $800 plus shipping ($80 from
Ohio to California).  The other option is a Dexter Torsion-Link axle, but
you take all the responsibility for dimensions and specifications.

The root cause of our broken axle is one that all 1960's Airstream owners
should be concerned with.  Seems the early axles had spindles made from
forged steel. This steel continued to age and work harden until it
fractures, usually right at the inner bearing shoulder - which was square.
This is exactly what happened to us with dire results, it sheared off right
at that stress concentrating square shoulder. Henschen changed the design in
the late 1960's to early '70s, depending on axle size, to cold rolled steel,
tapered bearings and a thicker spindle.  The only way to tell is at your
next bearing lube, check to see if you have a tapered inner bearing.  So
far, no one can give me any sure dates on the changeover.

With how much better the trailer pulls and looks, the trouble from the
broken axle was worth it now.  It is also an expensive way to get a bearing
grease pack and new brakes too!

RJ Dial

'65 Caravel
'56 Flying Cloud