Re: [VACList] Dura-Torque Axle on 1960 Pacer?

John/Barbara -

Henschen, the company that manufactures the dura-torque/dura-flex axle, is
also located in Jackson Center.

In years past Henschen would replace the 'rubber band' in the axle tube
(they usually don't last more than 35-40 years) but stopped doing that a few
years ago. I don't know what the deflection *should* be for your axle, but
there are some posts in the archives which discuss this in detail.

Henschen recently entered into an agreement with Airstream that precludes
them from supplying replacement axles to individual customers except through
Airstream and authorized Airstream dealers... however, i sincerely doubt
that this would apply to your Pacer since the required axle wouldn't be a
current Airstream part. If Henschen won't deal with you directly, and
Airstream won't provide the specs for your Pacer's axle, I would recommend
that you take your trailer to a utility/horse trailer place, have them spec
the axle and order a replacement for you... the price difference could be
substantial.

A couple of years ago (before the exclusive agreement), I ordered a
dura-torque axle directly from Henschen, as an upgrade for my 1948
Trailwind... the sales guy called over to Airstream to check my own specs
(they didn't have torsion-bar axles in 1948) and they told him it would
probably be okay. FWIW, the axle, with wheel backing plates, electric
brakes, and springs cost under $600 - including shipping from Ohio...

Tuna
'48 Trailwind
Reno, NV