Re: [VACList] electric brakes

I wondered just how fast the brake magnets would heat up if left with power
on, so tried it once with a used magnet that I had kept after a rebuild.
Left it powered up for 5 or 10 minutes and it got not much more than "warm".

They WILL burn up if left for "too long", but a few minutes won't do it.

FWIW: I like to test brakes like you describe, just so I'm SURE that the
breakaway switch is working. The other test I do every time I hitch up and
most every time I take off from an extended stop (rest area) is to operate
the manual lever on my controller to check the brakes. That's just after I
pull the light switch and check to see if the clearance lights are on.

                                                            <<Jim>>