Re: [VACList] summer desert camping

Jon: I have had my Airstream now for two years and we have traveled to
Southern Utah and Northern Arizona with it.  We try to reserve our trips to
the spring time and the fall if we are going anywhere in southern Utah.  If
you like to get out and do things during the day, the summer heat can be very
uncomfortable.  We try to go higher than 6,000 ft. in the summer because that
way we do not need air-conditioning.  The High Uintas (Mt. range) are great
in the summer as the average altitude is 6,500 ft.  The canyonlands area is
very hot even though the altitude is 5,000 ft or so.  Temperatures in the
high desert in the summer months can be 90 to 100.  We are also in the middle
of drought so that means hotter and less water (as in rain).  I sure don't
want do discourage you from coming to this beautiful area but I would plan on
hot temperatures during most of July and August.

Tom Fairbank
1969 Tradewind