[VACList] Sucesses and flops; a knucklehead tells all

Hey folks -

As I get set up for another season I discovered a do and don't

Refer-

My original Dometic had the usual compliant of "works well on electric; not
so great on propane..." Well, after some digging I found something to check
for in these mid sixties refers.

The gas thermostat control has the classic bellows & bulb temperature device.
In my instance, a screw behind dial plate (of which there are only two; at 2
o'clock and 8 o'clock as you look at it from in front of the refer). The
harder to see of these (8 o'clock) had backed itself completely out, leaving
the bellows with a bad seat on the gas valve. This control makes the flame go
up or down as needed for the cooling and idling cycles. In the screw-out
scenario, the flame was not very robust now matter how much I adjusted it at
the burner. By finding the wee screw, and putting it back in place, the flame
operation improved dramatically (high flame for cooling; lower for idling)
and the sucker really chills now on propane. I suggest adding inspection of
the thermostat control in fixing the above complaint; added to flue cleaning,
level parking, burner alignment and cleaning, &c.

Online in the archive is an owners manual for a 1966 Overlander. The refer
section has drawing of the control I mention.

Big Flop in Polishing

Boy is this a screw up to avoid. I was doing a touchup buffing of the finish,
and wore my self out doing it. This made me lazy in my clean up after
polishing. I had been working some corrosion off the roof area which I had
let go for a couple of seasons and had finally gotten rather gray again. I
always wash every thing down after I finish and I washed some of this area
after removing the black mud we all know so well. Well, on the other side of
the coach I had finished brightening the aluminum very nicely, but when I
washed the roof off some of my rinse water from the hose ran down over the
now clean and raw aluminum. I was dog tired and decided to let it air dry
just this once. I could hardly lift my arms any more.

The next morning I awoke to find the most hideous, stubborn, god-awful water
spots I ever saw. Is looked like white measles! NOTHING took it off: water,
detergent, minerals spirits ... threats, prayers, entreaties, curses, all
useless. Corrosion laden wash water, settling on the fresh raw aluminum
bonded to it over night at a covalent chemical level, and I had to do a heavy
amount of rough polishing (basically compounding) to wear it off!

Happily only a couple of panels were affected, but it meant starting from
scratch on those panels. This was especially bad as so much raw aluminum was
exposed Not Spotted that I watched my buffer fill up quickly with good
aluminum that would have been better left on the coach.

Lesson learned: Just being able to towel it off would have prevented this.
Now I wax each panel as I finish 'em, while I work on the rest of the coach.
I am using straight carnuba wax, which comes off when I want it to. With ease.
What a knucklehead.

Have you done a knuckle headed thing during your restoration?  let's hear
about it

Alex In Indiana
WBCCI 8728
66 Safari & Overlander