Re: [VACList] New Airstream Owner

Ivan,

I own a 1960 26 footer with a single axle. While yours was originally
lighter than mine, if you end up adding items during your rehab they will
add to the weight. I plan on mine weighing 5000# when full and ready for
travel. I have used many tow vehicles on this trailer. I have found that a
318 cid V8 normally has enough power, so any V-8 should do you. A 3/4 ton
vehicle will last you longer, but offer a harsher ride. A half ton vehicle
will suffice. You may be tempted to go with a mid-sized SUV, but avoid the
temptation. With a trailer the length of ours you really need the longer
wheelbase and heavier weight of a full size vehicle. The last car I used as
a tow vehicle was an early 70's Chrysler New Yorker, I don't know about the
suitability of the 90's Crown Vics or GM's full size offerings, but a 5000#
tow option was offered. However I doubt that they will safely handle a 26
foot trailer on the Interstates, especially if your trailer has only one
axle (some came with two). With whatever you find, one that already has a
factory towing option is desirable since it will save you from having to add
such items as a hitch, wiring, trans cooler etc. and it will already have
the appropriate rear end gear ratio (normally a costly item to have
changed).

Hope this helps.

Scott