[VACList] New with questions.

Hello VAClist members,
I have recently entered the Vintage Airstream world with the purchase of
a 62' Safari 22'. I just returned from Delaware back to Maine after
first replacing and repairing bearings, brakes, lights, etc. for it's
maiden journey before restoration. Because of the overall condition of
the trailer both inside and out, I did not look as closely at the
utilities as a trained eye would of. The asking price was what I
considered way on the low side after having studied the Airstream sites
over the last year so I had some sort of reference to go by. My theory
was as long as the exterior was solid, everything else could be
replaced. Fortunately for me (and the trailer) I read articles on the
vac site suggesting strongly that original trailers are probably more
valuable after restoration then some sort of mod remod. ( I confess to
entertaining the idea of an updated interior like the CCD but rooted in
the sixties mod style.) Luckily, after returning to pick up the AS and
studying the cabinets, etc. everything is in excellent condition. Stove
and oven work, refrig. makes ice! Cabinets are light Danish wood color
and counter tops and bath are off white. All lights and fans work and I
even like the style of the fixtures. There are problems.
1. The interior has been painted. The same color as the counter tops.
Not sure what to do about that.
2. Furnace looked new, until I pulled out burner unit and everything was
completely rusted. Removed.
3. Water heater leaked, dials inoperable. This I removed, with much
difficulty to size up and understand
    better what will be needed as a replacement.
4. While removing WH, I had to move metal storage tank. Large, long
silver tank. Looks good, but
    should it be replaced with plastic?
5. Both outside covers for WH and Furnace are in perfect shape. I want
to use new appliances that will
    work with these vents. Sounds like I can, right? Any info would be
helpful.
6. After WH and furnace, black water tank...I have no idea what's down
there!
The first new tool I bought was a cyclo polisher and compounds to shine
Sylvia up. I am trying to control myself while other important matters
are taken care of first. Thanks for all your information and a great web
site.
Gary Campbell
1962 Safari 22'