Re: [VACList] axle replacement/out of the box

Hi Paul,

I'm home for a short period, but won't be able to do much with the axle
situation for either my Safari, or Argosy.

It's appropriate that those not skilled in making small modifications allow
a professional to do the axle replacement.  The fellow at Southwest Wheel
claims that he has changed out many Henchen axles that he feels are inferior
to his product.

There's only two bolts on each frame mount and changing out an axle
shouldn't be much of a problem.  The cut-out for the axle tube is in the
right position to install the axle.  Just a matter of drilling a couple new
holes and installing the proper rated bolts as indicated by the axle
supplier.  I doubt that alignment will be a  serious issue as the notch and
original bolt holes will serve as reference points.

Southwest Wheel torsion arm is shorter than Dexter or Henchen, like 4-1/2
inches vs 5-1/2 or 6 inches.  To keep the weight distribution per the
original specification, it would be necessary to move the axle tube.

As I mentioned previously, the only problem in using Dexter or Southwest
Wheel is the shock installation.

I'm aware that other Airstreamers installing Henchen replacement axles had
to modify the shock bracket and everything worked out just great.

More later when I get more time,

                   Regards, '69 Safari, Joy