Re: [VACList] axle replacement/out of the box

I may have (inadvertently) set events in motion a year or so ago when i contacted
Henschen directly to order a DuraFlex axle for my '48 Trailwind renovation. I spoke
with a salesperson who was very helpful, and indeed, he contacted Airstream to find
out if there were any restrictions or problems with supplying an axle for an obsolete
Airstream design (the torsion-bar axles didn't exist in 1948). Henschen was very
helpful, and sold me a 3500lb-rated axle complete with electric brakes,spring shocks,
and the particular bolt-pattern backing-plates i needed; delivered to my local yellow
freight office for an extremely reasonable price.

Some time after this, Henschen entered into an agreement with Airstream, and i
believe that the terms of that agreement does not allow Henschen to do what they did
for me, anymore.

If one wishes to replace the original equipment Henschen axle on their Airstream, they
now must either:
a) pay somewhat more than i did, and get a direct replacement through an Airstream
dealer
or
b) try to determine the specs themselves, and either buy a Henschen or other
torsion-bar axle either directly from the manufacturer, or through a generic trailer parts
supplier for less money.

The crucial difference (as i see it), is whether the buyer feels confident in his/her ability
to 'spec' their new axle; or if they just want to get the 'correct' axle using Airstream's
specs, and pay substantially more for Airstream's (and their authorized repair people)
expertise.

Tuna
reno, nv, usa