Re: [VACList] axle replacement/out of the box

David.
Perhaps it gives a person something to do, someone to pick on, in the absence
of doing something constructive.
But, more importantly, Airstream or Henschen does not have to provide a part
forever.
It's that "FOREVER" that seems to escape the thinking of some people.

Consideration was being given, to the fact that replacements would no longer
be available.

We stepped up to the plate, made the investment, to see to it that Henschen
axles would continue to be available for the older trailers.

As a result, some have the idea that it has become a monopoly. So be it. We
have the molds for many of the older Airstream plastic parts as well. Most
owners, convey "thanks" for having enough foresight to have those parts still
available.

I have not heard one "cry" from anyone about that.

Let those that want to depart from the proper axle, go on to other brands.
When they get through all the design, redesign, cutting, fitting and trial
and error, they quite well wish that they took the simple route.
Additionally, when they find the possible frame and shell damaged that quite
well may occur, because of providing a different "ride" for the frame and
shell, they might wish they went the simple way again. There are reasons why
Airstream used the Henschen axle in their design, and it will be interesting
to see how many trailers will be damaged, by changing "the ride."

There is concern that new Henschen axles don't fit the sixty trailers. They
do fit, but since improvements were made to the axle over a period of time,
for greater performance, some changes will have to be made. To assume that a
2003 axle will fit a 60's trailer, with no changes, is asking for a miracle.
Brackets, frame extensions may have to be made. Why? To put on a better
product, which is upgrading. I don't hear them complain when they need a new
light fixture, and must make changes.
It is that fact, that seems to bother those who usually have not replaced
their axles, but wish to compound the issue, with a barrage of accusations
and stories, mostly to inflate their ego's or elevate their own agenda.

I have yet to hear from anyone, who wished to step in and take the gamble
with me.

Why don't we start the "plasticoat" issue all over again. Gosh, all kinds of
faults will be kicked around about that one. But I don't hear anyone
complain, that "plasticoat" is only available from Airstream. And while we
are at it, you can't get an Airstream from anyone, ever, except from
Airstream.

I don't call that a monopoly, I call that smart business.

That "IS" the American way.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com