RE: [VACList] Argosy-Strip Paint OFF

Brad,

I stripped our Argosy two years ago - some one had painted aluminum over the
original Argosy cream color.  We didn't like the painted aluminum look and
didn't really like the original Argosy cream/tan  colors.  But we liked the
trailer.  We had it repainted in GM truck colors to match our tow vehicle
(white with GM pewter banana skins bumper, hitch, and wheels plus baby
moons).  We are very happy with it now.

For our trailer (74 Argosy 22) trying to get the "real Airstream" look
(clear coated or bare polished aluminum) would have not worked for two
reasons:

First, the roof end caps were galvanized steel.  Not pretty when unfinished.

Second, almost every aluminum panel showed signs of having been reworked
(minor dings, but sanding marks, etc.) after the paint was stripped.  I am
pretty sure this was factory work.  My impression was that Airstream allowed
use of aluminum panels with minor damage for the Argosy.  This was no factor
with paint over them.  But it would be very difficult to make those panels
presentable without paint.  I think you may find some of that under your
paint.

With a high quality paint job you could get a reasonable "aluminum" look,
but its still painted. Maybe it would be easier to find the "real thing" if
that is what you really want.

I used local hardware store stripper to remove both coats of paint.  Then I
used stiff brushes and lacquer thinner around all the seams and rivets,
followed by a degreaser.  Surprising to me, the clean up around the seams
did not seem to hurt the sealer.  No leaks after two years.

Hope this helps.

Keith Williams
74 Argosy 22
Moline, IL.